Baby Norgi–So close, yet so far

The last time we visited the baby norgi (a project I have a had a long love-hate relationship with) the neck opening wouldn’t go over little E’s head.  I figured, if I can steek the armholes, I can steek the neckline to make it a bit bigger.  Out came the sewing machine again, and out came the scissors:

Cutting (again)Re-steeked necklineAnd, it fit over E’s head!  I was quite pleased with myself and my solution.  So I did all the finishing, weaving in the ends, sewing down the collar…and when I went to put the finished product on so he could show it off (at playgroup no less) it would not go over!  Karen and I realized that sewing down the collar had the effect of removing all the elasticity.  Foiled at the last minute…I had been so proud of my steeked neckline too.

So I suppose I could rip the neckline out again but I just can’t bear to look at it right now.  This is what I typically do when I am having major problems with a project–we have a cooling off period and then I go back to it.  The problem now is that E will grow out of it by the time I “make up” with this little sweater.  I have ripped out the neckline so many times though I think if I start yet again, I may just keep ripping out of annoyance.  In addition, I was never all that thrilled with the yarn I used–the white is simply too slippery to knit with and not good for colorwork as the blue yarns carried in back show right through–in fact it was the reason for my initial procrastination with this project.  It just doesn’t look all that great (though the blocking did help quite a bit).

One of the moms at the playgroup suggested putting it on a stuffed animal–that way it does get worn and on what’s more, it always stays nice!  I think that may be the best solution. 

So, to sum up the Baby Norgi experience:  I learned a little about yarn selection for fairisle projects (when not using the recommended Dale Babygarn which would have been great) and I got a little more practice sewing and cutting steeks, got to do a little improvisational problem solving (with the extra neckline steek, not per the pattern), and had a lesson about elasticity of the knitted fabric vs. seams.  All on a project that only had a limited shelflife anyway.  So, there’s the bright side for you!

Advertisements

One thought on “Baby Norgi–So close, yet so far

  1. Pingback: Dewey Cabled Pullover « Three Clever Sisters

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s