I did declare victory a little early last week about my Nappy Bag–I was just so excited about how the bag turned out I couldn’t help it. But I wasn’t technically done. I still had the changing pad and its case to finish, but as I said I was having some problems with that. Well, as of Monday night I can officially say I have finished the Nappy Bag in its entirety.
After I finished the Nappy Bag I had a bit more confidence about trying to quilt the changing pad again. Near the end the bag was just so thick I figured I might have gotten a little better at massaging those thick fabrics under the presser foot. I was better at it but it wasn’t perfect. The next day, eating breakfast I was flipping through the sewing machine instruction manual (because it was sitting there on the table, not because I regularly read manuals as part of my morning routine). And I happened to flip right to a page that explained that if you keep lifting the lever, the presser foot can go up extra-high for thick fabrics. Oh. Whaddyaknow, checking the instruction manual when you had a problem. I then noticed there was a troubleshooting section at the back: (needle breaking? Might be too small. Check what type of needle is needed for canvas? Oh, a size 18, while I was using a size 14. I’m lucky I got that bag together at all).
So, after that the changing pad quilted up rather nicely. The corners still jam when I try to sew them but I am thinking I probably did not trim the corners sufficiently before turning the changing pad right-side out. (I am nervous to cut too close to the seam line, despite what the pictures show, but I suppose this is the reason for it). So I just ignored the corners and sewed the rest.
The case was fun to finish as well, I loved making the drawstrings, plus I got some extra practice on buttonholes. (Yes, I did have to rip the first one out, which is a pretty onerous task, but it went well after that).
I’m glad to say that I only have two sewing projects in the works: one which is nearly done (with luck, done tomorrow). and one waiting in the wings (a gift for a friend about to have a baby)…that’s pretty good for me if you consider how much yarn and unfinished projects I have piled up (and now that I’m spending so much tiem with the sewing machine, not much progress is being made in that department). Of course, I have plenty of sewing projects I’m looking forward to doing…