Two scarves finished, with nothing to spare.

Here is my first finished project from Knitted Lace in Estonia by Nancy Bush!


OK, so there are some ends hanging out so it’s not “technically” done.  But I’m claiming it’s done anyway.  You’ll notice that it’s more burgundy.  This was again by accident.  I bought this yarn to make a scarf for Mike and well, it didn’t work out so well.  As I was trying to think of what to do with it I remembered there were some projects in my book that didn’t require so much yarn (some are as many as 2000 yards!) and used something slightly thicker than lace-weight yarn.  Even though this yarn, Frogtree Alpaca Sportweight, is supposed to be a sportweight yarn (hence the name, yes) to me it seems lighter.  (This was actually the problem with the scarf for my husband–the yarn just wasn’t full enough for that project).  But it worked well for this.  Perhaps it’s something to do with it being 100% alpaca (how exotic, though perhaps not all that Estonian).

The project requires you to make lots of “nupps” which are really little yarn ‘popcorn’ type stitches–you knit, wrap, knit, wrap, and knit again into one stitch to create 5 stitches, but then on the reverse row knit them all together making the “nupp.”  I’ve tried to get a little of the texture to show in this photo. 


I picked this pattern as I knew I was cutting it close on the yarn–as the border is only on each end (as opposed to all the way around like some shawls) I knew I could easily shorten it if I started running out of yarn.  I didn’t, but I sure came close:

Lily of the Valley Scarf leftover yarn

A final word on this project:  what a difference blocking makes:

Lily of the Valley Scarf before blocking

I promised that two scarves were finished, so without further ado, I present Clapotis.

Clapotis Blocking

This yarn, Classic Elite Lush (from nearby Lowell!), was purchased in the spring of 2004, right when I learned how to knit with the intent to make the pinup sweater from Stitch ‘n Bitch.  I got the back panel done rather quickly, but being a novice knitter, I got a bit confused and then was attracted by other projects (hey, angora in summer?  Not the most fun).  Then, it got buried and forgotten.  I picked it up again in 2007, noting that I bought the yarn in Cambridge, moved to London, and had moved back to Cambridge without knitting a single stitch on it while in the UK.  This time all was well (it was mindless for me at this point, or so I thought) until I realized I didn’t have enough yarn.  Not sure what happened, but I just didn’t have a good feeling about it.  So I decided to make Clapotis, the famous (in the knitting world, at least) Kate Gilbert pattern from knitty.

Again, I was worried about yarn.  And again, I barely had enough, and I shortened it by a few repeats.  It’s a bit nervewracking but nice when you hardly have any left, because you don’t feel like you should “save” that yarn for some other project.

Clapotis Closeup

This scarf is warm and cozy, but unfortunately for me, I learned that angora makes me sneeze, so I am happy to be done with it.  I will have to find someone to inflict this on, who has a less sensitive nose!

Alpaca and angora.  There’s some unusual fibers for you.


3 thoughts on “Two scarves finished, with nothing to spare.

    • Thanks! It’s my second Kate Gilbert pattern, but I hope to do more: I think she makes really interesting patterns, just structurally, etc. I might make it again with some of my Sundara Seasons yarn…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s