Knitting project updates

First, the Venezia Pullover.  We haven’t seen this in a while.  Sometime last summer I started working on other items, and this disappeared.  For some reason (being deep into winter?) about a month ago I was inspired to pick this up again.  I can’t say why–there’s no chance of me being able to wear this until the end of the year if I’m lucky, and shouldn’t I be busily knitting away on petite socks, tiny hats, and chubby baby sweaters?

Maybe, but when I felt moved to tackle this again, I figured I should listen.  If not, this could be one of those projects that lingers for years and years…

And while I’m far from done, I’ve hit some major milestones–namely, finishing knitting the body, meaning it was time to get out the scissors and start snipping into all that yarn I spent so many hours twisting and looping together.  (Essentially, steeking means I knit a tube with no armholes or even much of a neckhole.  This allows for faster knitting).

Pre-steek–or a version for a shrunken head:

Pre-steek close-up:  does your head hurt?  Can you see why I said that if I was feeling motivated to work on this ghastly thing, I shouldn’t fight it?  Here we have two sets of neck steeks and two sets of armhole steeks.  And not enough stitch holders (those would be what look like monster diaper pins).

Cut (ha ha) to a week later:  we’re looking much better.  Neckline done.  Armholes are snipped open and still raw, exposed, and threatening to ravel at any time.  (I’m not too worried.  Not only am I no longer a steeking novice (in fact, I didn’t even secure the stitches before cutting to be extra safe!), this type of yarn–shetland–lends itself perfectly to steeking.  It’s that itchier type of wool that’s not so popular–no supersoft merino here–but that same quality makes the knits and purls “stickier” and less likely to result in knitting disasters, tearing out your hair, gnashing of teeth, etc.

And:  I have started the left arm!

But I haven’t been entirely selfish–here’s my progress so far on what I am calling the “Manly” Audrey Hoodie from Vintage Baby Knits.  I am making the 6-9 months size out of Sundara yarn (Sandstone over Shell) that I bought to make a project for little E.  So, I’d really better make sure to get it done this time around.  Luckily baby knits are quick, but I fear I may be relying a bit too much on that fact as an excuse for procrastination…

Advertisements

One thought on “Knitting project updates

  1. Pingback: New Year’s Resolutions | Three Clever Sisters

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s