The due date approaches — for Sara’s #2 and accordingly my baby quilt for her #2 (aka Don Segundo). I was a little frantic about whether or not I would have enough time, but true to form this was just a well-honed coping mechanism to get me started. As it turns out I have more than enough time. The top is completely pieced, so now it’s up to me to “stitch in the ditch” and quilt the layers together. Let’s be honest. I’m not entirely a fan of the red polka dots. At the time I selected the fabric, they worked so well with the Alexander Henry owl print because they drew out the reds. But now, on the quilt, it’s very overwhelming too the eye. I probably should have stuck with the softe color palette like the subtle browns and oranges, but in my head “pastel = girl” and Don Segundo is a boy. So, there you go. The orginal hip baby quilt design had borders made out of individual 3 1/2 in. squares. My head hurt at the thought of lining up all the points, so instead I opted to make 15 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in. strips. I think this toned down the busy0ness factor a little too.
And, since I was nearly done with one quilt, I gave myself leave to purchase more for the next quilt — the J&D wedding quilt! If you recall, I had purchased a “jelly roll” of San Torini by Moda and a jelly roll quilt pattern. I’ve made my squares, so it was time to find the binding, backing, and complementary fabric. Craft Warehouse fit my needs!
And, well, another friend announced they were having Baby #2, so I couldn’t help myself. Fat quarters were on sale, so I bought a set of six with this charming little zoo print. I didn’t buy a pattern this time, because I’m planning to make my own “strip quilt”. In my head it makes total sense and I have some scribbles on a plain sheet of paper, so we’ll see how it turns out…. I have a feeling the Drews won’t care too much.