Just across from Bob’s Red Mill Factory Store is Nature’s Bakery – the home of Dave’s Killer Bread. Dave has a compelling story. An ex-con, many times over, he transformed his life and started making Killer Bread. If you see it at your grocery store, buy it because it tastes so good and because it’s a great company and a good cause.
As we were walking in to take advantage of the bread deals (and samples!) Dave was walking out. I missed another photo opp! Fortunately, there was a life size cut-out, so I posed. As Sara pointed out, pictures with Bob AND Dave would be too much.
This little snippet says a whole lot about the company as well. http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
I was very impressed with the last paragraph:
** We believe in redemption. We have a successful program of hiring many ex-cons who often prove to be exceptional employees. We believe this sets a good example for other companies to follow as well.**
Community Involvement and Social Initiatives
At Dave’s Killer Bread, part of our mission is “to make the world a better place, one loaf of bread at a time.” There are many people who are less fortunate than ourselves, and by reaching out and helping our fellow human beings, we believe that we are making the whole community stronger. To us, this is just good business.
Here are just a few of the ways we strive to better our community:
* We donate over 75,000 loaves a year to local food charities, such as the Oregon Food Bank, Loaves and Fishes, Helping Hands, and countless others.
* We are major supporters of charities like Meals On Wheels, Project Pooch, and Work Source. Through an event we call “Charity Week,” we donate half of one week’s proceeds from our Healthy Bread Store to these local organizations several times a year.
* We give out countless gift baskets for silent auctions to support schools, community events, and charities. Let us know if you’re running an event!
* Dave regularly shares his story with inmates across Oregon and Washington to give them hope that there can be life without crime after jail. He also speaks to local service groups such as Rotary Clubs and Lions Clubs, as well as to a variety of schools.
* We believe in redemption. We have a successful program of hiring many ex-cons who often prove to be exceptional employees. We believe this sets a good example for other companies to follow as well.